Thursday 23 April 2015

Running scene - evolution|Extended Practice

As I've been animating for few weeks now, some changes to the characters had to take place. Running scenes in Fern Flower are important and take some of the screen time (roughly 15-20 secs of running footage). At the beginning I used the front view to animate them, however it's difficult to make it look right. Boy and Girl are running from left of the screen to the right and I used puppet designs prepared at the beginning.
 
 After showing it to the tutors I decided to draw a side view for Boy and Girl and use it instead for those scenes. Quickly tested side view version of a Boy and after few hours of making animation look decent I started to like it. It actually works quite well. I'm going to make side view for Girl next and create another run scene with both of them.
Also, scene of the Boy running is the first one where I tested string attached to the belly part of the body. Again I used pick whip to follow the movement of the puppet. Initially I went for black, but decided to stick with gray as it works better and stands out better from the background. I also applied light in this scene and made it follow character which reminds me a bit of how actual set lighting works. It all came out very nicely and I'l continue doing it on the other scenes.
Also, I've tried string on other parts of the body but felt like it takes away a bit from the characters, strings becoming main part, which I don't want. After all they're a digital paper/shadow puppets and there is a room to leave things unexplained ;) .

No comments:

Post a Comment