Thursday 21 November 2013

Alien 3D model tests|VFX

I've decided to do a little test of my alien in Maya, simply because I wanted to have a nice comparison between 2D and 3D.
The model I've created is very basic and untextured. I've added a very simple 5-joint rig for a tail part and four 3-joint rigs for the head/base.
I've key framed tail to move from left to right (pendulum motion) and set frames for head/base to imitate jellyfish-like movement. Next step was to render all frames and use After Effects to create sequence. I've saved all my Maya render files to .png so my finished sequence had transparent background (yay for alpha channels). I've used one of interior photos of Kia Rio as a back plate to test this really short shot.
Overall I enjoyed playing in Maya but I've found that making a really good model of an alien (and then UV maping it) would be a bit too time consuming. Also it doesn't really match the final look I want to achive. However I will definately use above process for quick prototyping (which will come useful when working on more complex shots).

No comments:

Post a Comment